How do I Transfer From a Working Holiday or Visitor Visa to a Student Visa?

Before You Apply

Applying for a Student visa in Australia can be a complicated process, but it doesn’t have to be. If you’re already in Australia on a Working Holiday or Visitor visa, you can apply online without leaving the country. Granted there are no ‘No Further Stay’ conditions on your existing visa, your Working Holiday or Visitor visa will have no impact on your Student visa application, as the two are entirely separate. But if you transition to a Student visa, your existing Working Holiday or Visitor visa will be cancelled once student visa is granted.

Your Student visa can only be granted after you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment letter (CoE) from your chosen institution. This means that we will help you to apply to an accredited university or college and be accepted into a course before applying for your visa.

Initially, if you are accepted to study at an institution, you will receive a Letter of Offer as well as an acceptance form. Once you accept the offer and provide all required documents and fees, the institution will then send you an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

To be eligible for a Student visa, you must be enrolled in a full-time CRICOS registered course of study, satisfy the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements, provide evidence of your English skill level, hold adequate Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) insurance, and meet health and character standards.

To meet the financial requirements, you will need to prove that you have access to funds incurred during the first 12 months of your stay in Australia. You can prove this through a bank deposit, scholarship documents, or evidence of a loan.

We Can Help

If you need help with transferring your current visa status to student visa, we can can help with everything from choosing a course to also advise for the future migration planning. We provide free assistance with admission to colleges and universities in Australia, as well as career counselling, health insurance, and visa application advice.

You should also be aware of the Student visa restrictions in order to lawfully remain in Australia during your studies, which are different to the conditions on a Working Holiday or Visitor visa. The main condition to be mindful of is that while the registered course of study is in session, you cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight or 20 hours per week. During the holiday period when there are no classes, you are able to work as much as you like.

Obviously, you must also maintain enrolment in a registered full-time course of study and maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover to continue to be eligible for a Student visa.

Because you are already in Australia, you will usually be granted a Bridging visa A (BVA), which will come into effect when your current Visitor or Working Holiday visa expires. This Bridging visa allows you to remain in Australia while your new visa is processed.

When your visa is approved, it will be emailed to your nominated email address by the Department of Home Affairs and you will need to provide it to your educational institution. With your Student visa sorted, you’ll be well on your way to attending your first class at your new university.

Basic Documents Checklist

Documents requirements depends on the country of passport and the education provider

Identity Document

Copy of your passport. Copy of your birth certificate, national identity card or driver licence where you have these.


This must include a statement in your application form that you intend to stay in Australia temporarily and/or documentation to support claims.

Confirmation of Enrollment

Confirmation of enrollment or Offer letter from the institution.

Employment History

Resume and other evidence of employment such as work reference letters.

Health Insurance

Health insurance must be Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Financial Capability

Sufficient funds evidence to cover your travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees.


If you are in Australia on a tourist visa, applying for a student visa whilst you are onshore can be a complex pathway to pursue and may pose a higher risk of refusal, depending on your personal circumstances. It may also be the case that an onshore student visa application is not an available option, due to a condition imposed on your visitor visa. In this case, you would need to depart Australia and apply for a student visa from offshore, unless you successfully apply to the Department to have the condition waived.

I am on Visitor Visa can I apply for Student Visa?

If you do not have No further stay condition on your visitor visa, you can apply for the student visa in Australia.

Which course I can do?

You can do any course from Cert III to Masters or Phd which can help you in your career development. It can be in RTO, TAFE OR University. Each education provider will have their own admission criteria.

Do I need finance?

Depending on your passport and selected institution, financial requirements of documents can vary. 

I am working holiday visa can I apply for student visa?

Yes you can. There should not be no NFS condition on your visa. Please send us your grant letter so we can check it for you.

Do I have to appear for the English Test?

Depending on your country passport, you may have to appear for the English test such as IELTS, PTE, CAE or TOEFL.

Can I apply for Permanent Residence (PR) after completing the course?

Nobody can give guarantee about your future PR plan. Student visas are designed to get education/knowledge which should be beneficial for your career. However, there are several migration pathways available after completing your studies. This can be through employer sponsored  or general skilled migration visas.

Looking For The Right Advice On How To Study, Work And Live In Australia?

Speak with the experienced team at VisaFast to get guidance on your education pathway and plans to work and live abroad today

Get in Touch

Let us meet and discuss your career and migration pathways


Suite 714, 368 Sussex Street, Sydney NSW 2000,1300 847 232


Email your query to us and one of the counsellors will be with you soon.


B2/111 “Palladium” Corporate Road, Opp Vodafone House, Across S.G. Highway, Ahmedabad 380054,+91 79 48901313