Graduate Work Stream   

Subclass 485


                  For international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.


                  • you nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

                  • your visa application included evidence that you had applied for a skills assessment for your nominated skilled occupation by a relevant assessing authority

                  • your skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation (‘suitable skills assessment’)

                  • you have met the Australian study requirement in the past six months

                  • each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.

                  WHAT CAN I DO ON THIS VISA?

                  The visa is valid for 18 months from the date of grant. It has full work rights, and also full study rights. It allows you to travel freely to and from Australia during the validity of the Visa.


                  You must complete a course or series of courses in Australia which take at least 2 academic years (at least 92 weeks).

                  There are a number of requirements:

                  • You can count studies at the diploma level or higher, and also Certificate III courses in trade occupations. This would include diplomas, advanced diplomas, bachelor degrees, graduate diplomas, masters, and PhDs.

                  • Your studies need to be “closely related" to your nominated occupation

                  • The studies must be registered on CRICOS (see, and the total registered study period according to CRICOS must be at least 92 weeks

                  • You can count more than one course, providing each course meets the above requirements and results in 2 academic years of study

                  • You can have a break in between studies and still meet the 2-year study requirement


                  You must pass the skills assessment in an occupation on the Independent or Family Sponsored Occupations List to be granted a 485 Graduate Work Stream visa.

                  DO I NEED MY SKILLS ASSESSED?

                  You will need to pass skills assessment in your nominated occupation – this will depend on the occupation and will generally be based on your qualifications, English language ability and any registration requirements. Many skills assessing authorities have lower requirements for 485 applicants – this includes the accounting bodies, VETASSESS, Trades Recognition Australia and the Australian Computer Society.

                  The skills assessment must be lodged prior to the 485 visa application, but need not be completed at lodgement. It is important to ensure that you are able to meet the skills assessment requirements for your occupation, otherwise, your visa application will be refused.

                  ENGLISH LANGUAGE

                  If you hold a passport from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada or New Zealand you do not need to appear for any English Test or else you will need to pass English test and get the required score in one of the tests mentioned below:

                  • IELTS (Academic or General Training): overall average of 6 and at least 5 in each band

                  • Occupational English Test (OET): B Pass in each band

                  • Pearson (PTE Academic): overall average of 50 with at least 36 in each band

                  • TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test): total score of 64, with at least 4 in Listening and Reading, and at least 14 in Writing and Speaking

                  • Cambridge (CAE): 169 overall average with at least 154 in each band.

                  • Note that from 18 April 2015, average band scores apply with lower minimum scores apply to most English tests for the purposes of 485 visas.


                  You will need to show that you have adequate arrangements for health insurance when your 485 visa is granted. Whilst it is OK to have OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) at the time of application, you will need Working Visa cover for approval of your 485 visa.

                  You also need to maintain your Working Visa cover whilst you hold your 485 visa. If you do not maintain this level of cover, your 485 visa might be cancelled.

                  HEALTH CHECKS

                  You would generally need to do medicals for grant of a 485 visa. If you’ve recently applied for a student visa extension, you may be able to re-use these medicals.

                  POLICE CHECKS

                  You will need an Australian Federal Police (AFP) Check for yourself and any members of your family aged 16 or over. You must apply for the AFP checks prior to lodgement of your 485 visa.

                  Note that from February 2015, police checks for countries you have lived in outside Australia are no longer required.

                  TIME LIMITS IN APPLYING

                  You must apply for your 485 visa within 6 months of completion of your Australian studies. You must either hold a student visa when you apply or have held a student visa within the last 6 months. You must also make sure that you apply prior to the expiry of your student visa, or at least have applied for another visa and are on a bridging A or B visa when the 485 application is lodged.

                  BRIDGING VISA

                  When you apply for your 485 visa, you would, in general, receive a Bridging A visa allowing you to remain in Australia during the processing of your 485 visa application.

                  The Bridging A visa has full work rights. If you held a substantive visa (eg student visa) when you apply for your 485, the work rights on the bridging visa will come into effect when the substantive visa expires.

                  The Bridging A visa may cease if you depart Australia. If you wish to travel whilst waiting for a decision on your 485 visa, you may wish to apply for a Bridging B visa to facilitate your travel.

                  PROCESSING TIME

                  2-3 months


                  • The Post-Study Work stream is for international students who have recently graduated with an eligible qualification from an Australian educational institution, regardless of their field of study.